Definition: Photography of small objects from life-size to modest enlargements of up to about 10X. * Such photography can be undertaken by normal cameras equipped with modestly specialised equipment e.g. bellows attachment and reversal of lenses: greater scales generally need microscopes. * Compare with photomicrography: photography through microscopes. Just so we know To add to the fun, people on Continental Europe (as opposed to those of us living on the Continental Shelf) generally use the term microphotography to mean the photography of terribly little things enormously enlarged i.e. what we call photomicrography. Which, of course, is not to be confused with the microphotograph -- an extremely small photograph. What I cannot find out is the name for the process of producing a microphotograph -- probably because it's something like "photomicrophotography", which no-one in their right mind would admit to.

Previous Term: microphotograph  Next Term: microreciprocal degree

Type a photography term below to find its definition: